Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

The Gremlin did it!

In Thoughts

Image by cwateteson
A few weeks ago I discussed the fairies I need in my life. Fairies meaning helpful magical being who would make my life easier. Chef, nanny, cleaning and stylist fairies were at the top of my list. So far no fairies have turned up at my house and applied for the positions. Maybe I would have had better luck if I asked for gnome. 

What did show up is the gremlins (not the AMC Gremlin from the 1970s and luckily not the Gremlins from the 1984 movie or my house might not be still standing ). So what do I mean by gremlin?

Gremlin- An imaginary mischievous sprite regarded as responsible for an unexplained problem or fault, esp. a mechanical or electronic one. "gremlin." The Oxford Pocket Dictionary of Current English. 2009. Encyclopedia.com. (February 16, 2012).http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O999-gremlin.html

Gremlins are everywhere. Maybe you have met some of them.

In my house we have the toilet paper gremlin that makes sure all the rolls are empty. This gremlin is also know to make sure the bathroom storage area it toilet paper free as well.

Earlier this week, I ran into the garage door gremlin who made sure my garage door would only lift one foot. Perhaps if there was a shrinking fairy to shrink my car down, this could have worked, but alas it was not to be. We've also had multiple visits from the DVR gremlin who took great pleasure in turning our DVR on and off in the middle of the night. I would say we have a leave the orange juice jug empty in the refrigerator gremlin, but I have a sneaking suspicion that might be a family member.Then again, my gremlin could just be thirsty after all his hard work. Florida orange juice is hard to resist.

I've also heard of other writers (not me, of course) being hit by the typo gremlin. They add extra typos to your manuscript after you have proofed it for the millionth time. Come to think of it, this gremlin visits me frequently. Any typos or misspellings  or grammatical errors in this blog must be his fault.  He works hand in hand with his cousin the make your document disappear even though you know you just saved it gremlin.

I could go on and on. What gremlins do you have in your house? When that blue screen of death shows up on your computer do you blame the gremlin? What about when the umbrella is missing from your car and a downpour starts?  Or should I be blaming poltergeists instead? That might be a post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment